Editorial Assistance

eBooks Cost Less than Fast Food


Does it ever bother you that books seem so...devalued? They're either so cheap that they might as well be free or they're outright free. At first, I didn't really have a problem with this. For a long time, I couldn't afford anything, let alone books (I was in high school and didn't have a job). That turned me into just the type of person creators dislike. You know, the type of person who dedicates hours of their lives to finding websites where they can illegally get stuff for free.

The main reason I became a book reviewer two years ago was because I knew it was the only way I could legally get books.  Of course, once I got past the "Wow, free books!" phase, reviewing became a passion. I do it now because I like to help authors and readers. Plus, when I upload a review, my opinion at least temporarily matters to someone. That's a good feeling.

Now I get so many books for free that I don't know what to do with all of them beside give them away in large giveaways or sell them.

It's gotten to the point where, whenever I discover a new legal website that gives away hundreds of books or I browse through Amazon's free section, I feel disappointed. I talk to many authors. I'm writing my own books. I know how much work and time goes into writing, publishing, and promoting a book. I'll need to raise thousands of dollars to prepare my books for publication and promotion, yet people will expect me to sell it for less than a dollar.

Whenever I see a book that I knew took a lot of work, I respect the author. I can buy a crappy McDonald's burger for a buck. Something about only spending a buck on something I respect seems...insulting.

How do you feel about the pricing of eBooks? Does it ever bother you, even if you're not an author? 



0 Responses