Editorial Assistance

Taking Off Some of My Hats

I've always taken pride in being able to wear a lot of literary hats. I'm an editorial assistant for a traditional publisher, freelance editor, reviewer, author, freelance writer...

Something about knowing I can wear all of those hats and switch between them multiple times in one day made me feel like the ultimate freelancer.

Now it's time I finally admit to myself that, considering the circumstances, I can't wear all of those hats. So, what are the circumstances?

Today I went to a job fair and handed out a lot of resumes. I not only asked for part-time jobs, but I asked for full-time ones as well. The jobs I'm mostly interested in are full-time jobs, where I'll most likely be expected to work anywhere between 35-40 hours per week. School won't be a concern, at least not for the next eight or so months, but my freelance jobs will be a concern. Usually, I write book reviews, work on my books, put together style sheets and style guides for Month9Books, edit a freelance project, and write articles for websites. If I try doing all of that with a full-time job and a desire for a love/social life, I'll burn out hard and fast, and I don't want that.

That's why I've decided that I will only wear two freelance hats: editorial assistant/freelance editor and author. I am no longer a freelance writer or professional reviewer. From now on, as far as freelancing goes, I will only edit books and write my own. I may occasionally write a review for SPR or submit an article to websites like Listverse, but not consistently.

Plus, the main reason why I held on to professional reviewing and freelance writing was because I can make money off of both. However, in a recent blog post, I decided that I'm no longer doing freelance things for money. I really like writing reviews and articles, don't get me wrong, but editing and writing books are things I truly do out of a passion. I'll hold on to those.
1 Response
  1. What good decisions! I'm taking off some hats for the next year and a half or so. I may be announcing it on my blog in the next few weeks. We'll see.